Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Crochet: Pink Doily




Skill: Easy
Size: About 6 inches across
Materials: Size 10 Cotton Crochet Thread: Orchid Pink
Crochet Hook: Steel No. 7 (1.65 mm)


Rnd 1: Ch 6; join with sl st to first ch to form ring; ch 3 (counts as first dc now and throughout), 23 dc in ring; join with sl st to first dc. (24 dc)

Rnd 2: Ch 4 (counts as first dc and ch 1), [dc in next dc, ch 1] around; join as before. (24 dc and 24 ch-1 sps)

Rnd 3: Sl st in ch-1 sp, ch 1, sc in same sp, ch 3, [sc in next ch-1 sp, ch 3] around; join with sl st to first sc. (24 sc and 24 ch-3 sps)

Rnd 4: Sl st in next 3 ch (center of ch-sp), ch 1, sc in same sp, ch 4, [sc in next ch-sp, ch 4] around; join with sl st to first sc. (24 sc and 24 ch-4 sps)

Rnd 5: Sl st in next 4 ch, ch 1, sc in same sp, ch 6, [sc in next ch-sp, ch 6] around; join with sl st to first sc. (24 sc and 24 ch-6 sps)

Rnds 6 & 7: Sl st in next 6 ch, ch 1, sc in same sp, ch 6, [sc in next ch-sp, ch 6] around; join with sl st to first sc. (24 sc and 24 ch-6 sps)

Rnd 8: Sl st in next 6 ch, ch 1, sc in same sp, ch 1, 7 dc in next ch-6 sp, ch 1, [sc in next ch-sp, ch 1, 7 dc in next ch-6 sp, ch 1] around; join with sl st to first sc. (12 sc, 84 dc and 24 ch-1 sps) Finish off and weave in ends.


While you are working this, it will seem to awfully ruffly. By the time I got to round 8, all I could think was, "I hope blocking fixes this otherwise this pattern becomes useless as a doily!"


I find that using styrofoam to block is the easiest. I can reuse it numerous times with no issues and it doesn't take forever and a day to dry.


I typically like to use laundry starch, but when my sister went to pick some up for me (some time ago), they had NONE! However, she was directed to the craft section of the store where she found this. (Gotta love Mod Podge - they've got something for everything!) I did dilute it down considerably and it worked like a charm!

Please keep in mind, this doily on completion is ONLY 6 inches wide, from point to point. That will vary according to individuals, and according to type of yarn used and hook size used.
I have decided that what I'd like to do for this doily, is to make a matching companion, using a size 9 hook, then to matte and frame them. I have decided after lengthy thought, that I do like how that presentation looks.
If you use this pattern, I hope you enjoy and feel free, please, to come back and share a photo of yours!

*   *   *

Note: this is not a pattern of mine. I cannot remember where I picked it up. Could've been a tear-off freebie at Wal*Mart or HobbyLobby or Michaels, it could've been in a pattern book that I bought or borrowed that ended up printed out in my crochet craft binder. It may have even come off the internet, I'm just not sure. My apologies for not being able to give proper credits.
Having said that, in this day and age, crochet seems to be becoming a dwindling art form. You can go to Wal*Mart or any other retailer and buy sweaters, blankets, even doilies, and all the other wonderful crochet items. Kids today (I say this in general, I realize it does not apply to all, but a majority) do not have an interest in such things, if there isn't a cord attached, a battery inserted or wifi enabled.
As such, I don't really believe patterns should have a cost to them. Let's face it, we can barely pay an electric bill, let alone pay for a book of instructions. Yes, it costs money to publish them via print media or fancy websites. However, It cost me minimal to share this one - electricity to turn on the computer (we pay for that anyway) and internet (which again, we pay for anyway).
At any point, when I blog a crochet pattern here, I will, to my best abilities, include my source for the pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment