Friday, November 7, 2014

Project 5: Scratched CDs/DVDs

Don't Toss Those Scratched CDs/DVDs!




CDs and DVDs become scratched and useless. It's a fact of life. But that doesn't mean you have to throw it away.
If you like alternative forms of art, this one's for you. It's fairly easy, but depending on the pattern you choose, it can be a little time consuming.


I use PLAID brand Apple Barrel 20404 Black Acrylic Paint (found in the crafts section of Wal*Mart, or at HobbyLobby or Michael's). Paint the data side of the CD/DVD, edge to edge. (BluRay, I'm not sure how it would come out unless you'd use a lighter color)



Once dried, use a pencil to draw your pattern onto the CD. Now, here's where the time-consuming bit comes in. I used the tip of a metal nail file to scrape off the paint. You may find a utensil that works better for you. I will say, I made a "test" CD before this one and used a razor blade - did NOT work out so well.

Once you're satisfied with your piece, you'll need to seal it to avoid accidental scratching of the surface. I used ModPodge Clear Acrylic Sealer. You can buy that in Gloss and Matte. I happened to have Gloss on hand, but, in all honesty, I think I'd like the way a Matte finish would look better.



No comments:

Post a Comment