Friday, November 7, 2014

Crochet: Double-Sided Hot Pad

 


Skill: Easy
Size: 10" x 10"
Materials: Cotton Heat Resistant Crochet Thread
Crochet Hook: Steel Size J


**PLEASE NOTE** I made this a while back, so my stitch count is a little fuzzy LOL

Ch 30, sc in first ch; sc in each ch st across. Ch 1 and turn.

(Here's where the fuzzy comes in.) Repeat until square. LOL
Honestly, this is so basic a pattern, any stitch count can be done, depending on the maker's desired size.


Use that basic pattern to create two blocks. (As pictured above)
I chose a single crochet stitch, because it's a close weave and if used as a pot holder, fingers would be less likely to slip through and get burned.




Line the two pieces up and use a single crochet stitch to connect them.
I single crocheted 3 times in the corner stitches so as not to have cinched or puckered corners. Once you've gone all the way around, Sl st into first ch (sc). Ch 1 and single crochet all the way around again (This time you won't have to sc 3 times in the corner stitches). Weave in all excess yarn and you're done.
 
*    *    *

I'm sure there are patterns galore out the for this type of thing. My mom taught me (later in life) how to crochet the basic stitches and I went from there. When you're learning how to crochet or knit, you end up with a lot of squares. What do you do with them?

I got tired of the clanking of the spoon being put onto the spoon rest and the clanking of the glass sugar and powered creamer containers onto the countertop, by the coffee maker. So I took two of those useless squares that had the best uniformity to them, attached them together as described above. What I ended up with - I put the sugar/powdered creamer containers on it, ditched the spoon and spoon rest for a glass swizzle stick and had myself a nifty little coffee station.

(front)

(back)

My mom liked the idea so much, I made her one. This one. This poor thing is almost 15 years old, and as you can see, it's had better days. Yes, it's coffee stained, but it's still sturdy and useable.


There is no one to credit for this idea or general pattern. I came up with it, whether it was an original idea or not.


No comments:

Post a Comment