Sunday, August 24, 2014

Freebie Fix-up

Decorative Footrest

We come across the best freebies when neighbors decide to move.
This morning, our neighbor had put a decorative footrest out by the garbage. It apparently was bought only 3 months ago, and between then and this morning, someone had sat on it, ultimately breaking a leg. They had even so nicely included the leg with it, curbside.



As you can see in the forefront of the photo, a missing leg. I removed it, as it was chronically loose and missing one of the two bolts that held it to the cross member. Upon inspection, it became quite obvious someone had attempted to fix the leg, but had no idea what they were doing. Inside the leg (and each of the others) were two holes. In those holes of the "broken" leg, should have been a coupling sleeve; wide, large, wood-grabbing threads on the outside and smaller threads on the inside to receive a bolt. A bolt passes through a washer and then into the cross-member and into the coupling sleeve in the leg.

The broken leg was in no way, shape or form, fixed in such a manner. I found a coupling sleeve inside the cross-member, some sort of foam-like glue inside the leg holes as well as in each of the holes of all the cross-members. I have NO idea what was even holding the leg on. The holes of the leg had been enlarged and was in no way held in place by the bolt (as the holes were now twice the size of the bolt). And did I mention. the bolt and coupling sleeve for the second hole were completely missing?

Not a problem. A few months ago, my sister's dad (hey Pops! *waves*) purchased from Wal*Mart, a platform bed and a dresser for me, both of which required assembly. As in the past with assembly required furniture, and with my latest bedroom suit, I had various extra bolts, washers, & nuts. From this, I found a bolt of the same length (as the other bolt in the leg) AND a nut that matched the bolt threads. I used this nut in place of the missing coupling sleeve, working it into the hole in the leg. I placed the other coupling sleeve back where it belonged inside the second hole in the leg. Put in the bolts, tightened them down. I tightened all the other legs as well.


Voila! What was three legs, now has four. And much sturdier, to say the least, than before.
I also reminded my sister, this piece was intended as a DECORATIVE footrest, and nothing more. Even though I am confident in my work, it is what it is, and was never intended for behinds to sit on.
Sister needed a footrest anyway, and I'd say, this is a handsome find and well worth the price tag!


1 comment:

  1. I had typed a much longer comment but it poofed--come down to it, main message is: Thanks for the fix up, Isssy!

    ReplyDelete